Fishy Friday ... Forgot photo as I was famished!


Friday evening.... it's wet and windy and my brain is fried from my first full week back in work! I'm hungry and the lovely Mil and Fil (Mother in law/Father in law) are coming for dinner so I want something that tastes bold but isn't, something that is not too time consuming and something that doesn't take an age to cook!


I have also decided to be a vegetarian for the month of January, just to kick start the 'I want to lose a stone campaign' and give my digestive system a wee rest after Christmas. But I've decided on a fish pie, I can't really call myself a veggie because technically being vegetarian means you don't eat fish. So I guess I'm a pescatarian for the month.


I forgot to take a picture before we tucked in so here's the nearly eaten finished product. It's looks a bit like puke - but I can promise you it won't taste like it!


This recipe is from my head.

Total recipe 60 pp

Serves 4-6 (depending how many points you want to use or how hungry you are)


750ml skimmed milk

Bay leaf

2 packets of fish pie mix: I used Tesco fish pie mix which has smoked haddock, salmon and haddock - each weighing 390g

1 tablespoon low fat spread

2 tablespoons plain flour

100g frozen peas, defrosted

800g raw potato

40 low fat cheddar cheese

10g Parmesan cheese

Salt and pepper


1 Boil the potatoes, season and mash

2 In the meantime put the milk, bay leaf and fish into a saucepan, season and bring to the boil

3 Take off the heat. Remove the fish from the milk and put into an oven proof dish

4 Sprinkle the peas over the fish

5 Transfer the milk from the saucepan into a jug

6 In the saucepan melt the spread, then add the flour and whisk

7 Add the milk bit by bit, continuously whisking to get a smooth white sauce

8 When thickened pour over the fish and peas, completely covering them

9 Top with the mashed potato

10 Sprinkle the cheddar and Parmesan on top and place under a preheated grill until brown.


I served with carrots, broccoli and leek









Comments

Popular Posts