I elect to have a Prawn Stirfry.

It's Friday and I fancy something really tasty. I'm tired, I stayed up late to watch the Election coverage and then got up at 4.30am to hear we have a hung parliament. I'm home alone as the hubby is out with friends.  It would be sooooooooo easy to order a takeaway BUT the benefit of having a Saturday weight watcher class means that I have to step on those scales tomorrow and I really want to see a loss.  So I decide to be good! 

Weighting on a Saturday is a godsend! 

I look in the fridge and have lots of bits and pieces, 1/2 a courgette, some broccoli, a red pepper, 1/2 a bag sugarsnap peas and a carrot. I also had some onions and garlic. 

So I decided to make a stirfry. I pop to the local shop for some raw King prawns, the only missing ingredient. 



I've avoided making stir fries of late because we have an electric cooker and what I always find is that the veg end up broiling and I'm always disappointed. 

To avoid this happening, I chop everything the same size so it will cook at the same time. 

I add a tsp of sesame oil to the pan and while it is heating up, I add a nest of wholemeal noodles to a pan of salted water and put it on to boil. 

Into a ramekin, I add a thinly sliced clove of garlic, 1 tablespoon of soy sauce, 1 tablespoon of sweet chilli dipping sauce, 1/2 a thinly sliced red chilli and a teaspoon of minced ginger. 

Once the oil is  hot, I add the onion and pepper first for a few minutes, then the carrot ribbons and sugarsnap peas, then the courgette and mushrooms for 2 minutes and then the raw prawns. 

I keep the veg moving so it doesn't get a chance to broil. 

Once the prawns turned from grey to pink, I add the concoction from the ramekin and stir through. 

I drain the noodles and add to the pan, give everything a good shake up and put in a warmed bowl. 

Concept to bowl in less than 30 minutes (including the trip to the shop), quicker than a takeaway and a great way to use up bits and bobs in the veg drawer.  

It was 11sp in total, compare this to a Chinese bought Chicken Chow Mein for 32 points.  I could have had a bottle of white wine with the savings made, alas, I was sound asleep on the sofa by 8.30pm with 1/2 a small glass left untouched. #rocknroll #lightweight.





Comments

Popular Posts