Mexican Leek and Black Bean Chilli


Hello! It's been a while! I've continued to cook lovely food - just haven't had time to blog about it.

My beautiful friend Deirdre introduced me to a book last year call 'The Happy Pear' - I may have mentioned it before in a previous post. It's amazing! I've been thorough it dozens of times and still finding new dishes to cook - experimenting and swapping ingredients that don't appeal to me (what is the point of Aubergine?) The recipes encourage people to simply eat more veg - and while I'd like to blog all the recipes here - I would still encourage you to buy the book! I've bought is as a present for lots of people - who are now hooked too! Have a look https://thehappypear.ie/ Today I'm going to blog about a delicious mexican leek and black bean chilli. While these recipes are not the lowest in points - they are healthy and filling. I've pointed where possible.


Serves 4

7 pp per person

Served with 60g of brown rice each - add an additional 6 pp per person.

Ingredients

1 red onion

4 cloves of garlic

1 red pepper

1 yellow pepper

1 whole chilli

2 medium leeks

oil spray

1 tsp Cumin seeds

1 tsp salt 1 x400g tin black beans (I used Kidney when I couldn't find the real thing. I've since found them in the wholefood section of the supermarket, dried and I just cooked according to instructions before using in the chilli)

2 x 400g tins tomatoes

100g tomato puree

1 tsp groupd coriander

1 tsp ground cumin

1/4 tsp smoked paprika

1/4 tsp ground black pepper

1 tbsp honey

20g fresh coriander

juice of 1/2 lime

Method

1. Peel and finely chop the onion and garlic. De-seed the peppers, and the fresh chilli and slice them with the leeks.

2. Heat the oil in a big pan and fry the onion and garlic on a medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring regularly to ensure they don't get burnt. Add the sliced leeks and peppers along with the chilli, cumin seeds and salt, and fry for a further 5 minutes.

3. Drain the beans and rise and add to the pan with the tomatoes, tomato puree, ground coriander, ground cumin, paprika, black pepper and honey. Turn the heat to high and bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and leave to simmer for a further 10 minutes.

4. Finely chop the fresh coriander and stir through with the lime juice. Taste, and season if needed.

Comments

Popular Posts